Overcoming Your Giants


Hiya!

I don't want to start this post by saying sorry I haven't written in a while but I probably should. So, sorry that I haven't written in a while! There have been a lot of things happening over here in Ireland and, honestly, I was unsure of what to write or how to keep you all updated with everything going on.  While I won't disclose everything, I do want to try and communicate what the Lord has been doing!

These past couple months have been filled with a range of raw emotions, times of joy, and many many difficulties and trials. I have struggled to the point of not wanting to be here anymore and had moments of being blind to the reason behind me coming here. I remember sitting in my bedroom in tears and getting a text from a good friend back home saying, "Don't forget why you went there." I think that was a big moment for me because I never realized or vocalized that reality- I had forgotten why I even came to Ireland. I had let the hard times rob me of my joy, of my purpose, of my calling. Now, my problems most definitely didn't disappear with that sudden understanding. What it did was help me change my attitude and give me a reason to fight. I wasn't going to allow the enemy hinder me from what the Lord called me here to do.

Around this time, my mentor over here told me to read about David and Goliath which is a very well known story but, wow, it is such an encouragement. David, a kid at the time, was up against a giant and unbelievable odds. Something that struck me when studying this passage of scripture was not only David's courage but also his focus- it wasn't on the giant, the skilled soldier. His focus was on the God. We all will face giants in our lives and I was facing a big one BUT one way to overcome them is to take our attention off of them and put it on the Lord. We must lift our eyes from the giants to the "Giant Slayer."

David had his attention on God, not his giant. I need to put my focus on the Lord, not on the hurts. I need to set my eyes on Jesus, not my situation.

Sometimes God's plan just doesn't add up and it just makes no sense. But what He was showing me in  my struggles was that the math is irrelevant but the victories are sweet. I had to turn my eyes upon Jesus and realize that He would help me overcome my giants, my impossible odds. A verse that He really laid on my heart was from 1 John 4, "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world."  

Now, I don't know what YOU are facing right now. Maybe you're in the midst of difficulty or uncertainty. Maybe you're up against impossible odds. I know I don't have all the answers and most certainly don't know everything, however, I hope I can encourage you with this truth: with God all things are possible! 




Hey! Keep reading! 
I think it is important to share what the Lord has laid on my heart but I want to tell you a bit about somethings I've been up to as well.

Youth Group
Teaching about Philip and the Ethiopian official in Kids Club 
These first two pictures are from kids and youth ministry from the church we were serving with for a couple months. Us four girls started up youth group again and were having a lot of fun getting to know some of the young men and women in Athlone.
 






We had the youth group over to hang out a couple times for a game night and also for a movie night. The film we watched was about prayer and the power of prayer. While it was short, we had an awesome discussion about it and what it mean, how it applies to us. I absolutely love those students!


In kids club and in Sunday school as well, I had a lot of opportunities to teach the kiddos. Something I noticed was how smart they are... It is so very important to teach kids about the Lord and about the Bible. On top of that, I have learned from them as well.


In February, my team went back to Lacken house (where we had our first two months of training) and have since been living as well as serving there and alongside other churches in many different ways.


Sarah, Jasmin, and I taking up the floor tiles

We have been done a lot of practical work like cleaning the Big Red Bus, removing some tiles for a new reception area in the office space, painting, cleaning, preparing for teams coming in, etc... Something I have learned from doing some of these jobs that I have never done before is that there is never a shortage of ways to serve! It is also given me a new appreciation of some the workers here in Ireland who do these jobs every day.


The MDT team back together again for a week of training at the end of February!

One last thing I would like to share about is our ministry out in Longford! We have had the opportunity to go out for the past several weeks with the Big Red Bus and serve some free tea and coffee. But our main goal was to share the Gospel with the people in Longford. I was able to talk to a few people while we've been out on the street. This past week, I had a conversation with a lady about who Christ is and we were able to pray with her.    







These are just a few of the different ministries I have been serving in and with! If you would like to see more photos, you can always find me on instagram (@lydiakollar) and on Facebook.

I know I started with post off with sharing about how I have had some difficulties in the past few months and so I would really appreciate prayer for that situation as the Lord continue to work in it. Along with that, here are a few other ways you can pray:

  • Pray for us four girls as there are some big decisions we have to make about the upcoming months in Ireland
  • Pray for the whole MDT (Immersion) Team as we all have faced difficulties in our time here
  • Pray for people out in Longford to be open to hearing the Gospel and for the team on the bus to have boldness to share
I just want to say thank you to those who have and who continue to support me in prayer! I can't say enough how much it encourages me to know that I have people in my life who love and care for me. Feel free to message me or shoot me an email if there is anything I can pray for you about!!

Until next time,
Lydia




Lydia Kollar
Lacken House
Rahara, Co. Roscommon
Ireland F42 PV24

Comments

Popular Posts